Sunday, January 16, 2011

Count it all JOY!

Whenever a trial comes and hits, it can be easy for our responses to be to worry, freak out, grow anxious, or to over-think. Rather than relying on God, we tend to rely on ourselves to fix the situation/problem. I know that many of the times when I am going through a trial, I tend to worry and do anything possible in order for the outcome to end well and positively. Although I know what the right reaction to a trial should be, its not always my first thought. God obviously knows what He is doing, He plans everything out according to His perfect will! I can find comfort in that and trust in Him that it will be for the good and not for harm. By doubting that or choosing to worry, that shows a lack of trust in the Lord.

As James 1:2-4 says, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

We need to find joy in our trials because they are tests that challenge our faith, not meaning worldly, temporal happiness, but rather spiritual, enduring, "complete joy" in the Lord who is sovereign over all things, including trials! The testing of our faith defines the meaning of a trial for the Christian: as Jesus was "tested" in the wilderness, so believers are tested. It denotes a positive test intended to make one's faith "genuine." The result is steadfastness, a life of faithful endurance amid troubles and afflictions. As believers, we are to have an individual faith, asking for wisdom from our God! I have definitely learned that I have nothing to worry about because my God is a God who will not give me a trial that I cannot overcome.

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."
~1 Corinthians 10:13

How comforting is this? God will not let us be tempted beyond our ability, and He will always provide a way of escape! I can trust in the Lord and find my strength in Him. I can stand strong and endure through my trial BECAUSE of Christ.

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." ~Philippians 4:13

Trials are tough, but the best part of a trial is that God wants to make you more like Christ and reveal what you can learn/where to grow. This is what I've learned by a tremendous amount of encouragement, and I can apply it to my life during difficult times! Instead of all the tempting responses to trials, I RUN to God's word and spend time in concentrated prayer. I lay it all out at His feet and place everything in God's hands where it belongs. Whenever we start to focus on that person or thing, or whatever it may be, we need to immediately stop, confess it to God, and leave it at His feet. Like in James it talks about temptation (so the temptation to not focus on what is "noble and true" aka reality, but instead think to the future or even with actions, when you know God wants different for you right now) and when sin matures it brings about death. So obviously a very bad "we should want to RUN from even the possibility" of even sinning against God. So as soon as our minds even go there, we should repent quickly and give it to God- and leave it with God! I struggle with trials from time to time, but I know that each time I do, its a time where I can improve my response each time and learn where I need to grow more in.

No comments: